Update: Due to frequent requests, we extended the deadline for paper submissions to 18th March 2019
The industry track seeks to present the state of adoption of semantic technologies in industrial applications, and intends to facilitate a discussion about what current industry challenges can be addressed with semantic technologies. These technologies may be used in specific industries (e.g., media, financials, telecommunications, healthcare, life sciences, government, intelligence, public sector, industrial production etc.) and in different application areas (e.g., business intelligence, smart cities, digital twin, analytics, search, content management, knowledge management, recommendation systems, data integration, automotive etc.).
The industry track aims to facilitate the exchange between Semantic Web researchers and industrial solution developers to bridge between state-of-the-art research and its application in industrial scenarios. We welcome contributions about:
- Success stories of adoption of semantic technologies and knowledge graphs in real-world environments, especially by emphasizing how these technologies have succeeded in creating value and key factors for the success of the adoption in a large-scale organization.
- Experiences about challenges that are encountered in a industry setting when adopting a solution based on semantic technologies.
- Additionally we seek contributions about current challenges in industrial fields, which should be tackled semantic technologies, emphasizing solution approaches and existing issues that are currently only insufficiently addressed by Semantic Web research.
Topics of Interest
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Applications of semantic technologies in specific industrial domains (automotive, financial, healthcare and life sciences, energy industry, public sector etc.)
- Digital representation of industrial assets (“Digital Twin”) facilitated with semantic technologies
- Real-world applications of semantic technologies for enabling FAIR (meta) data
- Approaches to bridge between domain experts and semantic technology experts
- Development and application of knowledge graphs for specific industries
- Successful application domains: Knowledge management, data integration, data sharing, search, Business Intelligence, data analytics, open data, enterprise data management etc.
- Industrial trends related to the usage of Linked Data, Open Data and Semantic Web technologies
- Financial and strategic investments in semantic technologies
Successful submissions to this track will emphasize:
- Real-world deployment experiences and strategic decision-making related to semantic technologies
- Success stories from the deployment of semantic technologies
- Discussion of scalability of the presented technologies
- Quantitative measurements of the business value created by using semantic technologies a clear description of the impact in the respective industry and motivation for the need of semantic web technologies
- Concrete lessons learned from these experiences areas where further research (or research in novel directions) is required
- Current challenges in industrial applications, for which semantic technologies represent an opportunity for addressing the challenge, including approaches, motivation for the use of semantic technologies.
Come and join us at the ESWC 2019 industry track to share your experience!
Industry papers should be submitted as extended abstracts (3-4 pages) via EasyChair (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=eswc2019industry). Submissions must be in English, and must be submitted in PDF or HTML formatted in the style of the Springer Publications format for Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). For details on the LNCS style, see Springer’s Author Instructions. For HTML submission guidance, see the HTML submission guide. We welcome submissions with original content and will not accept already published papers. Accepted submissions will be offered a slot to be presented in the main track of the conference and will be published in the satellite proceedings. At least one author of each accepted paper is expected to attend the conference to present their contribution.
Reviews will be done by a committee of members from both industry and academia. Reviews will be single blinded. The review criteria include the following:
- Maturity of the implementation and value created to the business
- Degree to which Semantic Technologies play a key role in the experience
- Insights and Lessons Learned for other applications or the research community
- Clarity and quality of the description
- Paper submission (updated): Monday 18th March 2019
- Notification to authors: Wednesday 10th April 2019
- Camera ready papers due: Wednesday 2nd May 2019
All deadlines are 11:59 p.m Hawaii time
Nelia Lasierra, F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
Steffen Stadtmüller, Robert Bosch GmbH
Delineation from other Tracks
The industry track aims at identifying the application domains of semantic technologies, that yield a significant business value. Thus it aims at aligning current research efforts with existing real world requirements that justify the adoption of novel approaches in the face of otherwise unfeasible challenges. Therefore contributions to the Industry track can go beyond an analysis of technical challenges in the application of Semantic Technologies for individual use cases, but can describe the current and expected value of the application in a specific industrial domain.
Papers offering a more detailed, technical and scientifically focused description of a real world application should be submitted to the In Use track, whereas papers focusing more on the achieved or intended value of an industry application are suited for the Industry track
Emerging applications that are not yet deployed (proofs of concept), as well as vision papers describing future applications should be submitted to the Poster & Demo track
The text from this CfP is partially based on the call for Industry Track for ISWC 2017 by Peter Haase and Achille Fokoue and the call for Industry Track for ESWC 2018 by Andrea Conte.